MERKUR safety razors consist of chrome-plated die-casted zinc or brass parts. The constant contact with water and soap leads to the deterioration of the materials. The use of the razor over a long period of time is only passible with regular maintenance.
The following, easy steps will maintain the function of your razor:
With each blade exchange the razor parts should be cleaned with a soft brush (such as a nail brush) and warm water. If the razor is not used daily, please follow these recommendations at least once a week, or before you store the razor away.
Threads and adjustment mechanisms should be moved regularly, so they will remain movable. Movable parts can be oiled occasionally. For this, please use small amounts of paraffin oil, weapons oil or other machine oil that is acidfree and nonresinous (DO NOT use edible oil!). During the handling please take care not to over tighten the screws.
Shaving soaps have a large fat content. For cleaning away scaling, the disassembled razor should be placed in a solution (1:1) of water and a fat solvent such as dish detergent or hair shampoo. It is possible that the razor needs to soak in this solution for several days and has to be moved around in it occasionally. When even several of such applications do not lead to success, the razor unfortunately is irreparable.
Stains on the surfaces of the razor can also be removed with the above mentioned fat solvents.
In contact with hard, limy water, all razor parts need to be decalcified regularly, either with a customary decalcifying agent (such as one for coffee machines, etc.) according to their instructions for use, or with a diluted lukewarm vinegar solution (max. 30°C/86F), into which the parts should be placed no longer than 30 minutes, and occasionally moved around in the solution. Longer exposure to the vinegar/decalcifying agent will corrode the surface chrome and the metal underneath.
For the maintenance of badger hair shaving brushes a degreasing cleaning with hair shampoo is also recommended. The alkaline components and the fat of the shaving soaps cause the shedding of the brush
DOVO straight razors and shaving products have a 2 Year limited warranty from the date of purchase (copy of sales receipt must be provided). The warranty is limited to defective workmanship and/or materials and does not cover improper maintenance or abuse. Steel as thin as a straight razor is fragile and should be treated accordingly. Damage due to tapping, dropping, and/or rough handling of a DOVO straight razor voids the warranty.
IMPORTANT: DOVO straight razors leave the factory shave ready. DOVO’s 2 year warranty becomes null and void the moment they are professionally honed by someone other than our factory craftsmen prior to their sale to the consumer.
To use the warranty the following criteria must be met:
• A dated sales receipt for the DOVO item.
• Straight razor has been properly maintained.
• Straight razor has not been abused.
Important Facts relating to Straight Razors
• Carbon steel blades will darken with use. They will rust when not dried thoroughly and/or kept in a humid (wet) environment. When not in use for longer periods or in wet environments, it is recommended that the razor be coated with light oil.
• Stainless steel means it will stain LESS than carbon steel blades. If you try hard enough you can stain a stainless steel.
• A straight razor blade is an extremely thin piece of steel. A thin piece of steel is fragile and should be treated with care.
• A straight razor must “rest” after use. After the straight razor has been carefully rinsed and thoroughly dried, it should not be used again for at least 24 – 48 hours. The “fin” on the cutting edge, as seen under a microscope, changes during shaving, but will returns to its original position when allowed to “rest”.